1 read someone like a book” = understand someone very well
" read someone like a book " =非常了解某人
“My teacher can read students like a book. He knows which students study, and which students don’t.“
“我的老師能像讀一本書一樣了解學生。 他知道哪些學生學習,哪些學生不學習。 ”
My mom always knows when I'm lying. She can read me like a book.
我媽總是知道我在撒謊。 她對我了如指掌。
You won't be a very successful thief with that nervous demeanor—the cops will read you like a book.
你那種緊張的舉止不會成為一個成功的小偷——警察會把你看得一清二楚的。
I can read you like a book, and I can tell that something's wrong, so please tell me what it is.
我對你了如指掌,我知道有什麼不對勁,所以請告訴我是怎麼回事。
2“go by the book” = follow rules exactly
go by the book =嚴格遵守規則
“If you always go by the book in your work, your company will trust you more.
“如果你在工作中總是循規蹈矩,你的公司會更加信任你。 ”
My boss insists on doing everything by the book.
我的老闆堅持一切照章辦事。
If you're looking for someone to approve an exception, don't go to Ted—he does everything by the book.
如果你想找人批準例外,别去找泰德-他做事都是照章辦事的。
3“no spring chicken” = no longer young
“no spring chicken”=不再年輕
“I don’t think he’ll be able to hike to the summit because he’s no spring chicken.“
這句話的意思是:“我認為他不能徒步到達頂峰了,因為他已經不是小孩子了。 ”
He won't like the description but in the youth-obsessed world of sprinting he's no spring chicken.
他不會喜歡這樣的描述,但在癡迷于年輕人的短跑世界裡,他已經不是年輕人了。
He was always a wild and crazy guy when he was younger, but now he’s no spring chicken.
他年輕的時候一直是個瘋狂的家夥,但現在他已不再年輕了。
4“play it safe” = be careful and not take chances
" play it safe " =小心,不要冒險
“My knee still hurts, so I’m going to play it safe and not go jogging today.“
這個人說:“我的膝蓋還在疼,所以今天我還是不去跑步為保險起見。 ”
To play safe, I'd allow an extra ten minutes, just in case.
為了保險起見,我會多給你十分鐘,以防萬一。
I think I'll play it safe and take the earlier train.
我想穩妥起見,乘早一班火車。
,