作者:小雅和英美友人
◆ 吃手、咬東西、流口水,英文怎麼說?
◆ 磨牙餅幹、牙膠、圍嘴、這些物品怎麼說?
◆ 出牙期脾氣壞、粘人,如何用英文表達?
BABY TEETHING寶寶長牙 Child: Why is my little brother drooling so much?
寶寶:弟弟為什麼總流口水?
Mom: Oh, he must be teething!
媽媽:哦,他一定是在長牙呢!
Teeth的th讀作清輔音 [θ],但是teething的th讀作濁輔音 [ð]。
Child: He is getting teeth already?
寶寶:他都已經長牙了啊?
But he is only 6 months.
但是他隻有6個月呢。
Mom: Yes, some babies can get their first tooth as early as 4 months,
媽媽:是的,有些寶寶早在4個月大的時候就會長第一顆牙,
but the average age for the first two bottom teeth is 6-10 months.
但是長前兩顆下牙的平均年齡在6到10個月。
Child: He has been really grumpy too, crying a lot.
寶寶:他最近脾氣也很壞,老是哭。
Mom: Yes, and very clingy with me,
媽媽:嗯,還老粘着我,
he wants me to hold him all the time.
他想讓我一直抱着他。
He has also been sucking on his fingers a lot
他現在還經常吃手,
and chewing on everything.
什麼都咬。
Those are all signs of teething.
這些都說明他在長牙。
Child: We should get him a teething toy.
寶寶:我們應該給他買一個磨牙玩具。
(1) 磨牙玩具也可以叫teether,讀作 ['ti:ðə]。
(2) 矽膠牙膠叫silicone teether,千萬不能把牙膠翻譯成tooth gum,gum雖然有“膠”的意思,但其第一含義是“牙龈”。
Mom: You've left a lot for him.
媽媽:你給它留下了好多。
I'm pretty Sure I can dig out quite a few from the closet.
我肯定能從櫃子裡翻出來好多。
See? Here is one that rattles, too.
看見了吧?這個還能當搖鈴。
This one is filled with liquid.
這個裡面有液體。
And this giraffe-shaped one used to be your favorite.
這個長頸鹿形狀的是你以前最喜歡的。
Child: I still like it. Can I play with it?
寶寶:我還喜歡它。我可以玩會兒嗎?
Mom: Hey, it's for your little brother.
媽媽:嘿,這個是給你弟弟的。
Child: Fine. Also, we need to put a bib on him for all the drool
寶寶:好吧。我們還得給他戴一個圍嘴接口水用,
so he doesn't soak through another shirt.
這樣他就不會把衣服濕透了。
Mom: Yes, that's a great idea.
媽媽:是的,這是個好主意。
I have also heard that putting a wet cloth in the freezer is good for sore gums.
我還聽說在冰櫃裡放一塊濕布可以有效緩解牙龈痛。
Child: Should we give him some pain relief medicine, the poor little guy?
寶寶:我們應該給他一些止痛藥嗎,可憐的小孩?
It must hurt having teeth coming through for the first time.
牙齒第一次長出來一定會很疼。
Mom: Maybe not, medicine might be too much for him.
媽媽:還是别了,藥對他來說太過了。
It might do more harm than good.
可能壞處會多于好處。
If he's crying a lot, we can also give him some teething biscuits.
如果他老是哭,咱們還可以給他一些磨牙餅幹。
磨牙餅幹亦作teething cookie、teething snack。
Child: He needs that so he isn't so grumpy!
寶寶:他需要它,這樣他就不會那麼煩躁了!
Mom: Let's search online.
媽媽:咱們在網上查查。
Oh, they have many different flavors. Shall we go with Blueberry purple carrot, pea spinach, or sweet potato banana?
哦,他們有好多口味。咱們是買藍莓和紫胡蘿蔔、豌豆和菠菜、還是紅薯和香蕉味的?
Child: Blueberry, please!
寶寶:藍莓的!
Mom: Okay. I'll also buy some gauze to wipe his teeth.
媽媽:好的。我還得買點紗布給它擦擦牙齒。
Gauze讀作 [gɔz]。
Child: When can we brush his teeth?
寶寶:咱們什麼時候可以給他刷牙啊?
Mom: I did some research.
媽媽:我做了一些研究。
At 18 months, we can start using a pea-sized amount of low-fluoride toothpaste to brush his teeth.
18個月的時候,我們可以開始用豌豆大的低氟牙膏給他刷牙。
We should encourage him to spit out the toothpaste after brushing, but he may not be able to.
我們可以鼓勵他刷完牙把牙膏吐出來,但是他可能做不到。
Child: Can I be in charge of brushing his teeth?
寶寶:我能負責給他刷牙嗎?
Mom: Sure, but just make sure to brush your teeth properly for now.
媽媽:當然,不過現在你還是好好刷自己的牙吧。
附:牙齒相關英文
寶寶掉牙,媽媽說哪些英文,能講清換牙這件事,并告訴孩子怎麼做
帶寶寶看牙,你會和他說的英文,蛀牙、塗氟、洗牙、補牙……
【公衆号:你和寶寶說英語】
,